DjangoCon: DjangoCon US Talks I’d Like to See: 2017 Edition
A common question I get asked every year is “What topic should I submit to DjangoCon US?” So many people are unsure of what to talk about.
Since our DjangoCon US CFP deadline is a little over two weeks away, I thought I’d build an overwhelmingly long list of topic ideas to help anyone who’s struggling to come up with a talk idea.
I hate the term “soft skills” so I’m calling these “essential skills.” Every year some of our best presentations come from this category.
- 12 Factor App
- Community Development
- Hiring and Interviewing
- Kickstarter Howto
- Project Management
- Public Speaking
- Raise Negotiation
- Self Care
- Time Management
If your topic falls into “not Django,” but is not listed here, submit it anyway!
My frontend topics are far from comprehensive because I don’t dabble as much here. If I’m missing something obvious or if there is something new and cool, let me know!
- Material Design - I don’t think anyone has covered material design previously.
Native Apps (iOS / Android) - I have no idea if this can be covered in a 45-minute talk, but I’d love to see someone attempt it.
- Flux, Reflux, etc
- React.js - Are there best practices for covering a large app?
- VR / AR - Last year we had a great talk on how to get started with VR and Django. I’d love to see someone dig a little deeper to build an app.
If one of these topics looks appealing to you but you aren’t sure what to talk about, then please consider a getting started, best practices, scaling, or an advanced usage type of talk.
- AI and Machine Learning
- Django Channels
- Mix with a JS technology like React.js, Vue.js, Reflux…
- You have Django running in a Docker, now what?
- Image management
- Advanced Model Design
- Advanced Lookups
- Query Expressions
- Conditional Expressions
- Popular Django app? If you manage a popular Django app, then consider talking about it.
- REST / APIs
- Voice Technology
- What’s new in Django 1.11
- Django 1.11 release notes
- New ORM Features via m_holtermann
- Class-based model indexes
- Subquery expressions
- faster migrations
- Template-based widget rendering
django.contrib.postgresfor a minor update has several new features which could fit into a talk. QS.iterator on PG
- What’s new in Django 2.0?
- API design via Renato Oliveira
- Django in the age of serverless via Daniel Roy Greenfeld
- How to contribute to an open source project. How to create an distributable app via Maikel P
- “marketing for open source” via Pablo Rivera
What did I miss?
If you aren’t into public speaking or if there’s a topic that you’d like to see covered, then please let me know on twitter and I’ll add it to the list. Thank you!
Thanks to Heather Luna aka. , Rebecca Kindschi, Emma Delescolle, Markus Holtermann, and Jannis Leidel for advice on and corrections to a draft of this article.