This is my “life stack” which is heavily inspired by Lillian Karabaic’s Life Stack.
This is a work-in-progress.
In 2019, I stumbled on the concept of creating frameworks for various parts of my life. This is one of my frameworks.
What gets measured, gets managed. – William Thomson, Lord Kelvin.
I stumbled on the Streaks.app from a Twitter recommendation and it’s wonderful. The app can read your data from HealthKit which get automatically tracked from other apps which include tracking step count tracking, activity ring data, weight information, and workouts. The best tracker IMO is the one that automates and records streaks with me.
What I like the best about Streaks.app is that it does not penalize you if you forget to manually log a streak. The app has a nice calendar view and you can mark the days on your calendar like an adult. This drove me nuts about tools like MyFitnesspal which penalize you for forgetting to log one day and then your streak is broken even though you are logging your meals on paper or have a rigid routine of eating/drinking the same meal via meal prep. Apps shouldn’t penalize you for using them. end of soapbox
Streaks I’m tracking:
- Walk 5,000 steps
- Activity rings
- Record weight (link to scale)
- Work out for 20 minutes (3 to 4 times a week)
- Sleep 6 hours
- Don’t feel good - Negative steak to track how I feel.
- Log Tasks on wip.chat - For tracking progress on personal projects.
- Don’t drink alcohol - Another negative streak which counts how many days since I drank
- Eat a healthy meal -
- Bath - This streak encourages me to spend some self time every week. Soaking for me is really relaxing. I bought a fancy, bamboo tray and a spa pillow which takes my serviceable bathtub to the next level.
- Shower - One of my quick wins
- ?? - I left one slot blank
Sleep Tracking - AutoSleep.app
The AutoSleep.app works well and is the right level of fiddly.
One of my primary motivations for buying an Apple Watch was so that I could measure my sleep cycles. This has been life changing for me and has encouraged me to cut out a few bad habits to promote a better sleep cycle. I have two charges and charge my phone when I shower and get ready in the morning and I have another at my office that I’ll use to top off the watch every other day.
Weight Tracking (YMMV)
I track my weight with a Wyze Bluetooth scale.
- MacBook Pro 15” (2014, 16 GB RAM, 1 TB)
iPad Pro 12.9” (2016)
- AirPods Pro
- Apple Watch Series 4
- iPhone 8 Plus
- Google Docs
- Kiwi for Gmail
- SublimeText 3